Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful

Last night the Saint Paul School Board selected Valeria Silva for their next superintendent. Valeria has worked in Saint Paul for more than 20 years and has been nationally recognized for her work with ELL students. She recently completed training with the Broad Foundation which prepares individuals to lead urban school districts. Valeria will serve Saint Paul well.

At the end of a two-hour interview last Thursday, the SPPS School Board asked if I wished to make a statement or ask a question. I chose to make a statement. My statement expressed gratitude to the NBAPS School Board, union leaders and staff for their support of me during the process. I stated that it is very difficult for a sitting superintendent's district during such a public process and that I am especially grateful for the support granted me.

I remain thankful for working in this district and look forward to continuing to serve our staff, students and community.

As with previous posts, Supe of the Day will not accept comments on this issue.

(end)